Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My handiness is second only to my story telling.

When I was about 12 years old I found myself in need of a place to store my clothes. So one Saturday afternoon I set about building a burro. I did not have money for materials so I had to make do with whatever my father had available in the garage. I found an old piece of plywood that was painted a puke shade of green. I also found some other type of board that seemed to be made from compressed saw dust. You could actually break it with your bare hands. There were also many other random pieces of wood, nails, screws, and such, lying around for me to make use of. I started by measuring out how many shelves I could cut from the sawdust board. I was able to get 4 pieces about 2 feet long, by 12" deep. Next I took the green plywood and drew out the shapes of the sides and the top. there was not enough to also get a back piece. I cut the side and top pieces out with a sabre saw. Then I attached them together with some small screws. I couldn't understand why it was so wobbly. Next, using some very small nails, I attached a few small pieces of wood, 6 inch pieces of 1/2 inch square pine, inside the back and sides, at about 1", at 12", at 24",and at 30", from the bottom. Then I cut the sawdust board shelves to fit. It was still a little wobbly, so I used a couple of thin pieces left over from the green plywood ,and fit them across the back and srewed them in place. That helped hold it all together a little better. When I was finished I was very proud of what I had accomplished, even if it looked like it was thrown together in 20 minutes. I dragged it into the house, so I could put it to use. When I walked through the living room with my hand crafted piece of furniture, I found several members of my family staring and snickering. Someone said, "We have been hearing sawing, and hammering, and drills going for the past 4 or 5 hours without a single break. We were expecting you to come in with some spectacular work of art." Someone else said "That's is what you came up with after all this time." I just turned and smiled and said, "I did the best I could with what I had to work with." That has been about the level of my Handyman abilities eversince. Oh, by the way, I used those shelves for my clothes until I graduated from highschool.

7 comments:

  1. I love the story Steve, but just wondering.....burro? After reading the story, I am going to assume you meant bureau..??.. Sorry, I shouldn't even say anything because I am just as bad sometimes when it comes to spelling. Keep up the great work. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mean Bureau. I knew burro was wrong and I meant to change it to shelves before posting.
    I could not find the correct spelling. Spell check had nothing to offer and it was not even in the dictionary.

    How embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all, quite funny actually....because I can see myself doing the same thing!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has Carol read this yet?? She is going to get annoyed by the burro thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right Mandy. I wonder if I can go back and edit the post?

    Throw a crazy question in the box above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not the first "anonymous" and, yes, burro is making the hair on the back of my neck stand up - but actually not as bad as "your right Mandy" meaning "you're right." Just a bit of a pet peeve. I don't remember that project or your shelves, but the bottom line is that you did the best you could with what you had available - great life lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doh! I didn't even see that one.
    Now I know who Mommabrd14 is. I may have to hire you as my editor, while I work on the book.

    ReplyDelete